+ Trả lời Chủ đề

Chủ đề: Colors in English idioms

Kết quả 1 đến 5 của 5
    Moderator hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu is a splendid one to behold hoahamtieu's Avatar
    Ngay tham gia
    Jun 2009
    Bài viết

Colors in English idioms

Colors in English idioms

Blue
    , blue, my world is blue

Blue is my world now I'm without you

Grey, grey, my life is grey

Cold is my heart since you went away

Red, red, my eyes are red

Crying for you alone in my bed

Green, green, my jealous heart

I doubted you and now we're apart

When we met how the bright sun shone

Then love died, now the rainbow is gone

Black, black, the nights I've known

Longing for you so lost and alone

Gone, gone, the love we knew

Blue is my world

Now I'm without you..."

Hẳn những nguời yêu âm nhạc đều biết đến ca khúc nổi tiếng với đầy tràn màu sắc này của nhóm nhạc Lobo lừng lẫy. Bài hát hay không chỉ vì giai điệu, giọng hát mà nó còn gây cảm giác thích thú cho người nghe với phần lời như một bài thơ chơi chữ với màu sắc và tâm trạng. Trong tiếng Anh, màu sắc xuất hiện rất nhiều trong các thành ngữ, cụm từ, và không ít câu thành ngữ có sự đồng điệu kì lạ với tiếng Việt của chúng ta. Hãy cùng khám phá một số thành ngữ như vậy nhé!

1. Black

1.1 Black mood

To be in a black mood means to be irritable, angry or even depressed.

Also : to be in a bad mood.

1.2 In the black

To say that a person or organization is in the black means that they are financially sound, have a positive balance on their account and that they owe no money.

1.3 Black and white

To say that something is in black and white means that there is written proof of it.

Eg: "It's an obligation. It's written in black and white in your contract."

1.4 Black market

The black market refers to the illegal buying and selling of goods or currencies.

1.5 Black sheep

The black sheep of the family is one who is very different from the others, and least respected by the other members of the family.

1.6 Black gold

Black gold refers to the black colour and high value of oil.

2. Blue

2.1 Blue around the gills (also green or pale around the gills)

If a person looks blue around the gills, they look unwell or sick.

Eg: "You should sit down. You look a bit blue around the gills."

2.2 Blue chip company

This term refers to a company with a solid reputation for the quality of its products and the stability of its growth and earnings.

Eg: "It's usually safe to invest in a blue-chip company.

2.3 Blue in the face

If you do something until you're blue in the face, you try unsuccessfully to do something for a very long time.

Eg: "I explained the situation until I was blue in the face but she wouldn't change her mind."

2.4 Blue-eyed boy

A blue-eyed boy is somebody's favourite.

Eg: "He's the director's blue-eyed boy!

2.5 Out of the blue

If something happens out of the blue, it happens unexpectedly.

Eg: "I had nearly given up hope when out of the blue I was offered a job."

3. Brown

3.1 Brown as a berry

To say that someone is brown as a berry means that they are very tanned.

3.2 Browned off

To be browned off means to be bored, fed up or disheartened.

E.g.Tom is browned off with his job.

4. Golden

4.1 Golden handcuffs

The term golden handcuffs refers to a large sum of money or a generous financial arrangement granted to an executive as an incentive to stay in their job, or to ensure long-term cooperation after their departure.

4.2 Golden handshake

A golden handshake is a generous sum of money given to a person when they leave a company or retire (sometimes given to encourage early retirement).

4.3 Golden opportunity

A golden opportunity is a favourable time or excellent occasion which should not be missed.

4.4 Golden rule

The most important rule or principle to be remembered when doing something is called the golden rule.

Eg: "When travelling abroad, the golden rule is to respect the local customs."

5.1 Green fingers

To have green fingers means to be good at gardening.

5.2 Green light

If you give or get the green light, you give or get a signal or permission to do something.

Eg: "We're ready to launch the campaign as soon as we get the green light."

5.3 Green with envy

Someone who is green with envy is a person who is very envious.

6. Pink

6.1 Pink elephants

This term refers to hallucinations or strange imaginary things seen by people as a result of heavy drinking or the use of narcotics.
    Eg: "No more drinks for me please, otherwise I'll be seeing pink elephants!"

6.2 In the pink of health

If you are in the pink of health, you are in excellent physical condition or extremely healthy.

Eg: "Caroline looked in the pink of health after her holiday."

6.3 Tickled pink

To say that someone is tickled pink means that they are extremely amused or pleased.

7. Red

7.1 Red-handed

If a person is caught red-handed, they are caught while they are doing something wrong or illegal.

Eg: "The boy was caught red-handed stealing chocolate in the supermarket."

7.2 Red herring

A red herring refers to a fact or argument introduced into a discussion which draws attention away from the main point.

Eg: "Look, bureaucracy is a red herring. How to deal with the oil crisis is the important issue today."

7.3 Be in the red

If a person or organization is in the red, they owe money or have a negative account.

Eg: "I'm afraid I can't lend you any money. I'm in the red myself."

7.4 Like a red flag to a bull

To say that a statement or action is like a red flag to a bull means that it is sure to make someone very angry or upset.

Eg: "Don't mention Tom's promotion to Mike. It would be like a red flag to a bull!"

7.5 Paint the town red

If you paint the town red, you go out and enjoy a lively evening in bars, night-clubs, etc.

Eg: "To celebrate the victory, the team's supporters painted the town red."

7.6 Roll out the red carpet

To roll out the red carpet means to give special treatment to an important or honoured visitor.

Eg: "The management is going to roll out the red carpet for the visit of the Nobel prize winner."

7.7 See red

If someone sees red, they suddenly become very angry or annoyed about something.

Eg: "Discrimination of any kind makes me see red!"

8. Silver

8.1 Silver lining

A silver lining refers to the good or pleasant side-effects of an unpleasant situation.

8.2 Every cloud has a silver lining

This is a proverb which means that there is a positive or hopeful side to every unpleasant situation.

8.3 Silver spoon

To say that someone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth means that their family is very rich and privileged.

9. White

9.1 White Christmas

A white Christmas is when it snows at Christmas and the ground is white.

Eg: "We haven't had a white Christmas in twenty years."

9.2 White as a ghost/white as a sheet

A person who is as white as ghost looks very pale and frightened.

Mới nở engene is on a distinguished road engene's Avatar
    Ngay tham gia
    Jan 1970
    Bài viết

Re: Colors in English idioms

Colour White Idioms

In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the colour white.

1. Black and white
    2. As white as a sheet
    3. A white-knuckle ride

Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.

And today, the colour white and I will be teaching you some English idioms.

I bet you’ve never……

Aaah, the world. Such a beautiful place…

…urgh. How filthy.

The environment is … really important. And if we don’t take care of the environment then … something really bad will happen.

For me, it’s black and white.

In English…… if we have situation in which it’s easy for someone to understand what’s wrong and what’s right, we say ‘it’s black and white’.

Trong tiếng Anh, nếu có tình huống dễ thấy rõ đúng sai, ta nói "it's black and white" (hai năm rõ mười (KD); rõ rành rành; trắng đen rõ ràng)
    It’s black and white.

Erm… so it is. It really is black and white.

When you're flying a plane, it's black and white - you can't be wrong, you've got to be right.
    Khi bạn lái máy bay, hết sức rõ ràng- bạn không thể sai, bạn phải đúng.

Um, it’s a good thing I don’t really get scared very easily because this place is… not very nice.

Argh! What do you mean, I’m as white as a sheet?

In English, if someone is very pale because they are ill or shocked or scared, we say they’re as white as a sheet.

Trong tiếng Anh,nếu một người hết sức xanh xao vì bệnh hoặc bị sốc hoặc sợ hãi, ta nói họ "white as a sheet" (trắng bệch như tờ giấy; xanh như tàu lá chuối)

As white as a sheet.

Oh come on, I’m brave! I love roller coasters, for example.

Oh, that’s huge!

Well, here I go.

That was a real white-knuckle ride.

In English, if something is very exciting or scary, we call it a white-knuckle ride.
    Trong tiếng Anh, nếu một cái gì đó hết sức hồi hộp hoặc đáng sợ, ta gọi nó là một "white-knucle ride" (thứ hết sức gay cấn; hết sức thú vị; hết sức hồi hộp; một chuyến đi quíu hết cả giò)

A white-knuckle ride.

Like my lessons. They’re a real white knuckle ride. Oh yeah, so exciting, yeah! … ah, where did everybody go? Where have you all gone?
    Giống mấy bài tôi dạy vậy, hay thiệt là hay. Ừ đúng vậy, hay hết sức, hay làm sao ... A, mọi người đâu hết rồi? biến đâu hết rồi vậy?
    Lần sửa cuối bởi mtd-group, ngày 04-06-2012 lúc 11:49 AM.

Dạn dày sương gió eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene's Avatar
    Ngay tham gia
    Jan 1970
    Bài viết

English Silver Idioms

Idioms related to the colour silver. Find out about three idioms: to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth, to be silver-tongued, every cloud has a silver lining.

Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent king.And today this spoon, these clouds, this tongue and this silver will be getting together to teach you some English idioms. I bet you’ve never been taught by some silver before.

As you can see, I have a silver spoon in my mouth. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I’m the King of English.

In English, if you have a high social position and have been rich all your life, we say you were ‘born with a silver spoon in your mouth.’
    (Nếu bạn có địa vị cao và giàu cả đời, người ta nói bạn "born with a silver spoon in your mouth" sướng từ trong bụng mẹ; đẻ bọc điều; giàu từ trong trứng giàu ra)

Born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

The only problem is, it’s done something to my tongue…
    You know you really are very, very good students. Yes, you are. You’re wonderful. And your English is MAGNIFICENT. If you send just 5 pounds every month to me… I could make your English even better…
    Em biết không, em là một học sinh rất, rất giỏi. đúng vậy. Em thật tuyệt vời còn tiếng Anh của em thì xuất sắc. Nếu em mà gởi cho thầy chỉ cần 5 bảng mỗi tháng thôi, thầy sẽ làm em giỏi tiếng Anh hơn vậy nữa...

Yes, I am silver-tongued.

In English, we call someone who speaks in such a pleasant way they can make other people do things for them, silver-tongued.
    (Trong tiếng Anh, ta gọi một người nói chuyện dễ nghe đến mức có thể khiến bạn phục vụ cho họ là người có silver-tongued.)

Silver-tongued.

I love tennis. Especially on a beautiful sunny day!Oh no, clouds. Looks like rain. Oh well, I suppose instead of playing tennis I’ll go home and watch myMr Bean DVDs.Yes… Every cloud has a silver lining.

In English, if there is a situation which seems bad but in fact has some advantage to it, we say ‘Every cloud has a silver lining’.
    (Trong tiếng Anh, nếu có tình huống nào có vẻ tệ hại nhưng thực ra cũng có vài điểm tốt, chúng ta nói ' trong cái rủi có cái may; trong hoạ có phúc (mtd, f_org) ; tái ông thất mã (KD)').

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Well, that’s the end of the lesson. But at least it means you won’t be seeing me any more. Every cloud has a silver lining!

Ừ, vậy là hết bài học hôm nay. Nhưng ít nhất cũng có nghĩa là các bạn sẽ không gặp tôi nữa. Trong cái rủi cũng có cái may phải không?

Lần sửa cuối bởi eugene, ngày 31-05-2012 lúc 05:28 PM.

Dạn dày sương gió eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene is a splendid one to behold eugene's Avatar
    Ngay tham gia
    Jan 1970
    Bài viết

Learn English Idioms Blue

Bbc Learnin English Lessons. English Idioms Blue. In this video lesson, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the colour blue.
    1. A bolt from the blue: unexpected and shocking surprise or event (e.g.: “She had been working in the company for twenty years, so when she quit, it must have felt like a bolt from the blue”)
    2. Once in a blue moon: infrequently, not often, once in a while
    3. Until you are blue in the face: highly exasperated, very infuriated

Script of the video:

Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
    And today, the colour blue and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
    I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour blue before.

Ah, such a beautiful warm day.
    Urgh!
    I didn’t expect this terrible weather.
    In fact, it’s come as a bolt. argh… from the blue!

In English if something comes as a complete surprise, we can say it’s a bolt from the blue. Ahhhhh!
    Trong tiếng Anh, nếu một điều gì đó đến hết sức bất ngờ, ta nói đó là sét đánh ngang mày; chuyện hết sức bất ngờ. Ahhhhh!
    A bolt from the blue.

And now… an astronomy lesson.
    The universe is big.
    And things happen very slowly.
    Ah, the moon. A new moon is created… not very often. In fact, it happens once in a blue moon.

In English, if things happen extremely rarely, we can say they happen ‘once in a blue moon’.
    Trong tiếng Anh, nếu chuyện rất hiếm khi xảy ra, ta nói once in a blue moon chúng mới xảy ra một lần: năm khi mười hoạ; hiếm khi; cực kỳ hiếm
    Once in a blue moon.

Like my students. They almost NEVER do their homework. In fact, they do it once in a blue moon. But they don’t really listen to me.
    I say to them ‘Do your homework.’ I do, ‘Do your homework’. That’s what I tell them. ‘Do your homework.’ That’s what I say. ‘Do your homework.’
    That’s right. I say it until I’m blue in the face.

In English, if we say something until we are blue in the face, we waste time and effort because we won’t get any results.
    Trong tiếng Anh, nếu ta nói một chuyện gì cho đến khi chúng ta blue in the face (gãy lưỡi vô ích; phí lời; khô nước miếng (KD); khan cả cổ (ếchop)), nghĩa là ta phí thời giờ và công sức vì sẽ chả được kết quả gì.

Until you are blue in the face.
    Lần sửa cuối bởi eugene, ngày 31-05-2012 lúc 06:01 PM.

Moderator grammar-man will become famous soon enough grammar-man's Avatar
    Ngay tham gia
    Dec 2014
    Bài viết

Colour Idioms

Name:  Colour Idioms.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  46.7 KB

+ Trả lời Chủ đề
Quyền viết bài
  • Bạn Không thể gửi Chủ đề mới